I must say this year must be one of the best year for gamers if not the best. Started from Mass Effect 2 & Dead space 2 in January and ended with Assassins Creed: Revelations! Ah! Gem of an year for avid gamers really!
I also wrote a piece about the most awaited games to look out for in 2012 a while back, check that one as well if you haven’t already!
Okay I’ll start the list with the number 10. Here we go!
10) Deus Ex: Human Revolution:- It was the third game in the critically acclaimed award-winning Deus Ex franchise and totally lived up to the hype it created before the release. Basically a sci-fi first person shooter with RPG elements. Takes place 25 years before the first title in the year 2027. The series is known for perfect blend of action and Role playing, things which mostly doesn’t go well together. Both Shooters and RPGs fans should pick this one! My Score: 7.5/10
09) Rage:- A true visual marvel from id Software. One of the best looking games this year and also extremely heavy on the hardware. It’s pretty difficult to enjoy this game if you have an ageing hardware. My GTX 580 handled this game very well without breaking a sweat. If your card can run this game with at highest settings, you’re in for a visual treat. Brilliant character animations, awe-inspiring details and meticulously rendered rocky canyon walls are just seen to be believed. Add to that extremely satisfying combat and outstanding aural component, makes this game amazingly addictive. My score 8/10
8) Assassins creed revelations:- Well I don’t think I need to introduce this one. Revelations follows the series’ typical open-world style and introduced few gameplay elements like the hookblade, which can be used to zipline across the city or grab enemies to yank them in for a combo attack. Throughout the course of the game, the three protagonists from the previous games are featured: Ezio, Altair, and Desmond. The game includes various improvements and changes in the story-telling, gameplay and graphics. Fans of the series, just pick this up! My score 8/10
7) Crysis 2:- Crysis (2007) was a genuine innovation in computer graphics and a new standard in photorealism. Four years down the line, it still hasn’t been bested and holds the crown for best looking game ever. Crysis 2 was the first game for consoles from the Crytek. They had to downgrade their engine to make it possible to run it on consoles. Thankfully, game still looked great and probably the second best game visually after Battlefield 3 this year. It also addressed the system requirement issue of the original which required you to rob a bank and buy a super powered gaming rig to run it at the highest settings. Most modern graphic cards still struggle to run it at highest quality. Crysis 2 also has an incredible soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer which hides the few noticeable flaws present in the game. It was more action oriented than the open-world nature of the original. A gripping sci-fi story, menacing AI (quite buggy at times, though) and a high octane second half makes this game almost a must for Crysis fans and for those looking for a high quality single player first person shooter. My score 8.5/10
6) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:- Okay I haven’t played this game much but most of my gamer classmates have and they absolutely love it. I’m not much of a RPG fan except for the likes of Fallout and STALKER series. Don’t think I’m going to buy and play this game mainly ‘cos of the high price. For what I’ve played-The gameworld is pretty huge and looks very very nice. The game seems to have a large amount of content and also an amazing soundtrack.
5) Batman: Arkham City:- There are very few good super-hero games out there and Arkam City (and Arkham Asylum) has to the best of them. Batman is my favorite superhero as he seems to closest to the possible reality. Game is an open-world action affair that incorporates elements of stealth and predator tactics. Irresistible world, joyous movement, rewarding combat, and varied side quests make it an exceptional adventure game. My Score 8.5/10
4) Battlefield 3:- Well this game is my personal favorite in the list. I’m playing the multiplayer since two months and a game can’t get as enjoyable as this one. I reviewed this game too, check it below. One thing is certain, I’ll continue to play this game until Dice comes out either with Battlefield 4 or a better multiplayer shooter pops up. It will prove really hard to beat a perfect game like BF3. I had one of the most enthralling moments while playing the amazing 64 player multiplayer warfare. Sprawling huge battlefields, explosions all around and fantastic animations. Needless to say game is heaviest around and if you’ve anything less than a GTX 570, you’ll struggle to run it properly at highest settings. The game eats most graphic cards in the breakfast. Upgrade your rig before even thinking of playing it. Singleplayer isn’t much fun though, seems to be inspired from Call of Duty series. Multiplayer on the other hand is like a roller-coaster ride.
Best gaming experience for me after the incredible Left For Dead 2. My Score 9/10
3) Limbo:- Though this platformer was released for Xbox 360 in 2010 itself, PC and PS3 users got their hands on it only in April 2011. One of the best platform games ever in my opinion. Dark, atmospheric setting, brilliant gloomy sound and amazing puzzles which force you to use the deepest part of your mind. One of the most original games and consistently brilliant. Only grouse was the short gameplay but you’ll be entertained every moment of the game. The black and white visuals make everything creepier and the animation is very smooth. It somehow establishes a strong connection with the player despite the lack of story, dialogue, text, or explanation. Must play for everyone! Be it hardcore gamers or casual gamers. Most of the girls I know loved it to the core. Best part is you don’t need an overpowered PC to run it. My Score 9.5/10
2) Dead Space 2:- Dead Space was an absolute monster of a game. Very fresh and original. Amazingly scary and extremely gruesome. Dead Space 2 removed few programming and presentation flaws present in the original. It is scarier, better graphically and almost flawless, not to forget runs well on a variety of PCs. DS2 continues where the first one left off. You play a scientist who’s fighting rotesque monstrosities called Necromorphs, which are reanimated human corpses. Be prepared to encounter some genuinely scares and jumping-out -of-the-seat moments. If you love horror and/or gore, you can’t go wrong with this one! My Score 9.5/10
1) Portal 2:- Portal was a mind-bending marvel from Valve Corporation. Basically a first person puzzle game. Working on a sequel of a perfect game and bettering it in every aspect was never going to be easy. But Valve did it! Released Portal 2 this year and gamers were blown away. Lovely presentation, art design, mind boggling yet interesting puzzles, Portal 2 never fails to entertain. Attention to minute details in absolutely remarkable, so is the entertaining story. One of the few games with no flaws at all. My Score 10/10 and game of the year for me!
Game of the year:- Portal 2
Visual marvel of the year:- Battlefield 3
Soundtrack of the year:- Crysis 2
Most innovative game of the year:- Limbo
Notable mentions:- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Mass Effect 2. Both of which were great games but fell short compared to the games in this list.
Thanks for visiting the blog and going through the post. Constructive criticism, suggestions & queries are very well welcomed and hate comments not!